Tuesday, April 10, 2012

If you can't see through it ... ski through it

Easter sunrise behind the telescope.

Easter Sunday was quite non-traditional for me, but memorable nonetheless.  Actually, we had great weather for observing, and I made a lot of progress with my final observations, which ran from 5 am to 12 pm.  However, the previous couple of days hadn't been so good for observing, and I had spent some time staring out the window at clouds, snow, and skiers.  During that time, I vowed to ski before I left IRAM.  Finally, on Sunday, at 2 pm I hit the slopes!
View from the top.  Three things that I love in life: telescopes, mountains, and skiing.
















I borrowed skis and boots from the observatory, which were probably older than I am, but fit almost perfectly.  I think you could call the observatory "ski-in-ski-out", because I just walked out the door near my room, clipped into the skis, and (after becoming re-acquainted with the skiing motions after more than a year of not skiing), I was gliding down the mountain.  Remember, it's April, which is definitely the end of the season here, so most of the snow seemed artificial, but at least well-groomed.  It was sunny and warm, and with clear skies, the view from the top was magnificent.


My transport down the mountain.

I returned to IRAM in the evening for a fantastic dinner, nice red wine, and good conversation with the other astronomers.  In the morning, the snow-cat took me down the mountain, and I'll spend the next couple of days exploring Granada.  A perfect ending to a very good observing run.  I can't describe exactly what IRAM was like, because the weather and conditions were always changing, and the contrast of the observatory on top of a ski resort in southern Spain's Sierra Nevadas is difficult to synthesize.  So, I will direct you to my photos, and these should give you some idea of my experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment